Monday, March 12, 2007

Thoughts of the week

Technology.....the knack of so arranging the world that we need not experience it. (Max Frisch, Homo Faber 1957, cited in Media & Communication pg 58).

Now who agrees and who doesn't?

For me technology is experiencing the world in a different way from the next person. Huh, your thinking. Well everyone has their likes and dislikes about todays techno bits and bobs, so each of us choose to either have all that's on offer, some, or the bare minimum.

Take this morning for instance whilst on the train to uni I was sending text messages on my phone whilst listening to my MP3. I looked around and most were if not on their phones, they were listening to music, or on their laptops or doing all of the above!

Personally i think i could probably live without the mobile, certainly not the MP3 and most definately not without some form of access to the internet! I think of how we all survived without all of this.........it's funny how quickly you forget!

The novelty when the internet first came about was being able to talk to random people from countries all over the world. Even today having travelled and with friends all over the place, the convenience of being able to send and email, chat on msn and can i just say god bless Skype.....my phone bill loves you!

I can't say that now i have friends of which i have never met, over the internet. For me that's not a friendship it's an internetship, or something of that effect. I tried the whole My Space thing but the people who i would add i talk to in person any way so the thrill of having over 200 friends on my space makes no sense to me.

Now don't be offended if you have 200 friends or something

No comments: