Thursday, May 31, 2007

And so it ends......

The semester has finally come to an end with all that is left to do is write this blog. The exam was.....well....just like any other exam...ok i guess.

It has been quite a journey this semester. I would like to say that i am alot more techo savvy and abit more worldly about the cyber realm that exists out there and i guess the idea of keeping a blog is to show you (Jules) that journey.

I have learnt a great deal through the course as i now know how the web works and what it consists of etc plus the theories and developments that have made it what it is. The most interesting part was how there are so many ways in which to interact.

The lectures I found a little tedious at times, due to the fact there is so much theory to get your head around. For techno buffs I’m sure they found it riveting. Plus the fact that our tutes sometimes felt like they were completely irrelevant to the weeks lecture, eg Cyberpolitics lecture and tute exercise with Microsoft Word....call me stupid, but i don't get the link!

It was great using applications such as Photoshop as I had never tried it before. Disastrous the results maybe but we all have to start somewhere. One task i particularly enjoyed was the scavenger hunt and the fact we couldn’t use Google. It opened my eyes to the number of OTHER search engines to use when sourcing stuff. It’s amazing what you can find when you think outside the square or should I say outside Google!

Another exercise I thought was good was the virtual reality worlds. I wouldn’t have ever gone into one, but it’s interesting to see how people interact when they are living in a world online.


One thing that definitely needs to be improved on is the Griffith computer/audio equipment……..it never works…..and when it does it takes who ever is lecturing ages to set up. It wastes the lecturers teaching time and our learning time, not to mention results in half the students leaving the class……not that I mind about that but being the lecturers I can assume you would. Whilst it’s not your job to improve the uni computer system, a word of advice to those who do from such knowledgeable people such as yourselves might lead to some improvement in that area.

On a whole I enjoyed the course and I have come away a lot more knowledgeable about the cyber world. So thanks :-)

No comments: